May 11, 2009

Chauncey Billups

Here is an article that I really, really enjoyed. Why? On the surface, it's because it spotlights a player that I already like. Furthermore, it has a lot of humanity. It includes anecdotes about players, coaches and personalities that I only know from what I see on the court. Basketball and the NBA are my full-time hobby, so some of this behind-the-scenes stuff is really cool.



But in the end, the article has a moral, and the protagonist is, in all actuality, a good person ...and a champion. Deron Williams would benefit tremendously from having a teammate like Chauncey.

3 comments:

themickel said...

I like Chauncey. I just don't like that he's on the Nuggets and the Jazz will now get their butts kicked on a regular basis by TWO teams in their division.

Derek said...

I second what themickel says, and I add that I never expected to like Denver, but now I kind of do.

Michael 聖 Brady said...

I used to hate Shaq. But then he grew up (a little) and his sense of humor started to grow on me. Still not my favorite, but I don't hate the guy. I look at Kobe and "feel" like maybe he has matured, though I am still skeptical. I'm looking for some consistency from him and his attitude and leadership. I still hate him, but I hate him less than I did a few years ago. Allen Iverson. I used to respect him, until this season ended with him showing us all that he really hadn't matured.

To hear of this kind of growth in a guy I already liked really made me start to root for his team, unexpectedly, like Cheeth.

Two big problems stand in my way of cheering them on in the West: Kenyon Martin and Carmelo Anthony. Those thugs/whiners really rub me the wrong way. It's hard to cheer them on. However, if Houston can't topple LA, I will find myself cheering for Denver.

Either way, LeBron has the greatest chances of reaching 16 post-season W's. Kobe will give him a greater struggle, if those are the top two. Kobe might even win it all this year.